Saturday, May 12, 2007

REFLECTION #1 NET STANDARDS

GR. 5 LESSON PLAN
“Constructing Bar Graph”
NETS Standard & Personal Evaluation

My lesson plan which is design to teach culturally diverse Grade 5 students how to construct a Bar Graph using an Excel program relates to NETS Standard Part III on Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum. It states “teachers (1) facilitate technology enhanced experiences that address content standards and student technology standards, (2) use technology to support learner-centered strategies that address the diverse needs of students, (3) apply technology to develop students' higher order skills and creativity, and (4) manage student learning activities in a technology-enhanced environment.” ("NETS for Teachers") In this lesson plan, students are taught to use Excel Software in generating a bar graph that visualizes their collated data from the survey on the number of hours students spent everyday on studying Math, Science, Language Arts, and Social Studies. The students are group evenly according to their diverse needs. They will discover as they consolidate their data their study habits and will address whatever their needs to improve it. They will analyze their data and will creatively present their graph that would best highlight their observation. And lastly, all these learning activities are done in the computer lab that has all technology solutions they need.

This lesson plan reflects my holistic learning style. I am a visual learner. I need to see the abstract concept illustrated into the graph. I am also an auditory learner. I need to hear the explanations and discussions regarding the concept I am learning. I learn from talking to my peers and to listen to their ideas in the same manner as my students will learn from their survey activity and from their discussion on the relevance of the gathered data presented in the bar graph. I, too, am a kinesthetic learner. I learn well when I use equipments that will enhance my understanding on the concept I am studying. I will definitely learn using the computer.

For future applications, this lesson plan can be a good template for my lesson in generating graphs for Science fair data and in generating graphs for statistical data in Math. Bar Graph is a generic presentation tool that compares data in terms of category. With the use of Excel, I can easily let my students use other graph to suit their purpose and need.

The use of the powerful Excel Program is what appeals to me in this Lesson Plan. The students will gradually know the many capabilities of Excel that they can make use of in their daily life experience. Once my students know Excel, they can generate charts, spreadsheets, statistical, scientific, and mathematical reports, and design their own charts that simplify calculations. I always cherish and value an opportunity to teach my students that will improve their study skills.

I used the ASSURE LESSON PLAN Model to generate my lesson plan. It is very exhaustive and too detailed. Personally, I wanted a simpler format in a lesson plan that is straightforward and not too time consuming to make. In the real world, lesson plans should be simple, complete, and concise. Although I understand that the ASSURE Model is appropriate for a lesson plan that integrates technology, I know that it can still be simplified.


___________________________________________________________________
"Curriculum and Area Standards - NETS For Teachers." National Educational Technology Standards (NETS)_. 2005. Intenational Society for Technology in Education (iSTE). 27 Feb 2007 .

No comments: